Wyoming Valley West Varsity Girl’s Basketball

What To Look Forward To This Season

Elizabeth Cherinka, Contributing Writer

The varsity girls basketball season is right around the corner and from the looks of it, it’s going to be a good one.  

Image result for wyoming valley west girls basketball
timesleader.com

Some games not to miss are the Dallas vs. Wyoming Valley West at Dallas on December 21st and February 2nd.  Also, the Crestwood vs. Wyoming Valley West game at home on January 8th and at Crestwood on February 12th.  Those teams are the biggest threat this season, according to Grace Giza, a senior on the basketball team.  The competition is going to be intense because of the skill levels on both teams.  

citizensvoice.com

More games to attend at home are West Scranton vs. WVW on 12-8 at 7:30, Coughlin vs. WVW on 1-4 at 7:15, Lake-Lehman vs. WVW on 1-15 at 7:15, Berwick vs. WVW on 1-22 at 7:15, Greater Nanticoke Area vs. WVW on 1-29 at 7:15, Hazleton vs. WVW on 2-5 at 7:15, and Pittston vs. WVW on 2-14 at 7:15.  The girls expect to win the Coughlin vs. Wyoming Valley West games at home and at Coughlin on February 8th.  

timesleader.com

Toni Amato, a sophomore on the team, says she expects the team to make it far this season.  Amato also says that “coming together after going so far last year and losing 8 seniors will be the team’s biggest challenge.”  Lindsey Gruver, a junior on the team, says “losing all of our starters besides one, because they were all seniors so we are a young team,” will be one of the greatest challenges.  

The varsity team consists of Aubrey Boyd (#3), Nicole Boutanos (#10), Alima Tikhtova (#11), Katie Rincavage (#12), Karoline Stelma (#15), Toni Amato (#21), Jessica Shaver (#22), Grace Giza (#24), Kylee Laudenslager (#25), Kara Mackiewicz (#34), and Andi Blaski (#42).  Unfortunately, Jessica Shaver says she is out for 8 weeks this season due to a fracture in her wrist caused by a soccer injury.  Make sure to support your varsity girls basketball team this season.