A Work in Progress

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Work in Progress

David Krokowski, Staff Writer

The 2017-2018 Wyoming Valley West Lady Spartans basketball team will be faced with many challenges this season. The Lady Spartans are returning from a very good season being district runner up to a strong Abington Heights team. Losing mostly their whole starting line up due to them all being seniors, besides junior Andi Blaski, the team will be looking at a young development year.

They will be looking at making improvements and keeping up with their high pace offense throughout the season.  Sophomore, Toni Amato is also gonna be a very big help to the Lady Spartans, running the point guard position. As a freshman Amato got very good playtime, getting the chance to get a look at the varsity level at an early time. This will help her out a lot, getting to know the plays for this upcoming season early.  Blaski will be attempting to get them back to the district finals and to complete another great season.

More stand-out students that will be helping the team this year will be juniors, Nicole Boutanos , Lindsey Gruver and Alima Tikhova. All having varsity experience, these girls will be practicing hard and re-familiarizing them selves with the old plays and learning the new ones. “We hope to have a .500 season and a chance to get back to the arena to win a district championship for Valley West,” said captain Andi Blaski. They will have a very good chance of doing this, if all the girls play to their full capability. Their next game will be home and they will be hosting the Williamsport Millionaires. The Lady Spartans will surely not disappoint.