The Unstoppable Draig

Draig+Ruff%2C+14%2C+jumps+for+the+ball+at+the+start+of+the+game.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Unstoppable Draig

Draig Ruff, 14, jumps for the ball at the start of the game.

Brooke Pileggi

Brooke Pileggi

Brooke Pileggi

Jessica Shaver, Contributing Writer

Draig Ruff has been one of key players in the Valley West Conference for the past two years.

Key players usually have to average around the same amount of points every game. “Last year, I averaged a total of 15 points per game throughout the whole season. This year I am averaging 27 so far through the season,” said Ruff.

Draig had to adjust to the new team this year and learn how to work with them. “I played with most of those kids since freshman year and we all were an older group and already had varsity experience,” said Draig, about last year’s team.

With a young team, Draig is looked at as a leader. “The team isn’t as experienced as last year’s so I have to try and prepare most of them and teach things to help for next year and the years after,” said Draig.

When Draig was a junior, he wasn’t looked at as a leader and didn’t feel like one either, because there was so many seniors. “Last year I never helped anyone, but this year I try to teach as much stuff to the younger kids as I can, so they are prepared for the years coming,” said Draig.

Draig has been playing with most of the same kids every year. “I am close with this team but I was much closer to everyone on the team last year since I played with most of them my whole high school career.”

Draig has no new goals for the year except leading his team to victory. “I only plan on trying to win at this moment, everything else will just follow and what happens, happens.”

Ever since last year, Ruff has never been substituted out of any game. “I played the whole game last year, and the whole game this year.”

Recently, Ruff hit his 1,000th point on January 12th, against Pittston Area for his high school career. “I have 42 points to go and am I gonna get it? Maybe, I don’t know because anything could happen,” Draig stated a couple days before hitting 1,000 points.

The boys team has 9 games left, 6 home and 3 away. Next home game is against G.A.R on Friday, January 26th.