Charity Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Charity Game

Megan O'Neil

Megan O'Neil

Megan O'Neil

Mary Zavada, Staff Writer

On Tuesday September  18th the girls soccer team took on the Coughlin Crusaders. This game was not just a regular season conference game, but a charity game. All funds raised during the game went towards the Ronald McDonald House. A 6:30 kickoff began and with a dramatic start from WVW freshman Annabelle Wojciechowski not only put WVW on the scoring sheet but racks in her first varsity goal!

After scoring the goal Annabelle said, “ I was really excited and happy I could help the team and it was very memorable that it was in this charity game.” WVW remained still in the lead with 1-0 going into halftime. The excitement continued through the 10 minute halftime with food, shirts, and 27 baskets being raffled off and sold.         Both teams played an intense first half getting the fans more and more into the game.

Going into the second half, Coughlin was hungry for a goal and luckily Abby Davis for the crusaders found the back of the net, not once, but twice in the 37th and the 27th minute of play. Ending the game with Coughlin on top with a 2-1 lead over WVW. Both teams should have been very pleased by that nights outcome. Coughlin’s sophomore Emilia Serpico said, “ We loved being able to take the win even though that game was not easy, it’s really special to us.” Also WVW junior Julianna Murray said, “Even though we wanted to win that game, we played really hard until the last whistle and we played well as a team and that’s all you can ask for.”

With a well played game out of the way, the final items were being bought and sold to raise as much money possible to donate to the Ronald McDonald House. The final amount was announced at the game by the WVW booster club and they were able to raise $2,190.20!