Athletic Superstitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athletic Superstitions

Nathan Dudeck hits the ball while batting at a baseball game.

Samantha Adamski, Contributing Writer

Many student-athletes have superstitions, big and small, helping them play their absolute best at their sport.
When a person has a superstition, they believe that the belief will make them perform better. Athletes of all ages can have superstitions, whether it is a professional athlete or a student-athlete. “I have many superstitions, like eating waffles before every game and not drinking anything during the game,” said Nate Dudeck, a varsity baseball player.

Not all superstitions have to deal with food of some sorts. “I have to have my carabiner, which holds my different types of hair ties, scrunchies, and cheerleading bows on my cheerleading bag all the time,” said Rachael Kocher, a sophomore cheerleader.

Superstitions can start with an incident that made the player keep believing and proceeding with it. “I was starting Little League and I didn’t have a lot of time to eat before my first game. So, I made a waffle quickly. I had a very good game that day and now I eat them before every game,” said Dudeck.

Naturally beginning a new sport, a player can start doing a certain superstition repeatedly without even knowing it.  “I put the tee perfectly straight in the ground with the golf ball perfectly on top of the tee since day one,” said Gabby Gronkowski, a sophomore golfer.

People had said that superstitions are just placebos. Placebo or not, players do believe that they work, and players do believe that they help them play their best. “I feel terribly wrong without it; I need my carabiner to cheer my best game. With my carabiner, the game feels like it is in the palms of my hands,” Kocher said.