Who is the Greatest Baseball Player of All Time?

Nate Dudeck, Staff Writer

Throughout the years, there has been many conversations about who the greatest baseball player of all time is. Most people would say Babe Ruth, who is probably the most famous baseball player of all time, but how do his stats compare to some other all time greats?

Willie Mays who spent most of his career with the New York/San Francisco Giants had a lifetime .302 batting average and 660 career home runs which is 5th on the all time list. Willie was also stellar with the glove – He had 12 Gold Glove Awards and a .981 fielding percentage which is almost perfect. Willie also won a World Series with the Giants in 1954.

Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox was also an all time great. He hit 521 home runs, 20th on the all time list, and he batted .344. Ted won 2 triple crown awards by leading the league in batting average, home runs and runs batted in. However, Ted failed to win a World Series. Ted’s fielding percentage was close to Willie’s but not as good at .976.

Finally, Babe Ruth who is known by many. Babe Ruth was a pitcher then became a hitter during the course of his career. Babe hit 714 home runs and batted .342 which is way better than Willie Mays. Even though Babe was a good hitter, he wasn’t that good in the field.

A current MLB player who will probably go down as the greatest of all time is Mike Trout. Mike is only 27 years old and is already in the conversation. Mike Trout has a career batting average of .305 and has slugged for 285 home runs. Mike is an 8 time all star and already has 3 MVP awards. Mike has been in the league since 2012 and the fact that he has numbers and awards like this at such a young age is insane.

“I think Mike Trout will probably go down as the greatest to ever play the game. He has produced every year since his debut and he’s only 27. What he is doing is mind blowing,” said sophomore Ian Bayo.