Homecoming Week 2021 Recap

Emilee Stelma, Staff Writer

Homecoming is one of the most exciting weeks for our school. Everyone was dressing up for spirit week, voting for homecoming court, the bonfire, and getting ready for the big game. This year’s homecoming was one to remember especially since we didn’t get to have any of this of this due to COVID-19. 

Homecoming starts off with spirit week. Our spirit week ran Monday October 18th through Friday October 22nd. Monday was Twin with a teacher, teachers wore a specific color or shirt and students picked who to match with. Tuesday carried on the tradition of tropical Tuesday if some of you remembered from last year, some teachers were even making shrimp tacos and pina coladas. Wednesday was Unity day in which we all wore orange. Thursday was throwback Thursday 80’s themed, teachers were even singing 80’s songs in the halls while switching classes. And Friday was spirit day, in preparation for game day everyone wore their best maroon and gold. Spirit week was a success and everyone did really well in bringing out school spirit. 

The bonfire was held the Thursday before the game right in Plymouth. All the cheerleaders were cheering and dancing, the band was playing our favorite songs, and the football players were getting all excited for the big game the next day. Our principals, head football coach Mr. Baranski, many students, and parents were all there. It really is just an exciting new tradition to get ready for the homecoming game and get students all together out of school as well. 

Homecoming court is a tradition and definitely a huge part of homecoming. The court is made up of 5 girls and 5 guys all part of the senior class. The voting took place on Google classroom. The 2021 homecoming court was Sabrina Bazadona, Laila Footman, Gwendolyn Langley, Lily Latimer, Annabelle Wojciechowski, Kenneth Brown, Liam Frace, Quadel Glaster, Brian Gill, and Aiden Golightley. The court all came to the big game best dressed riding in convertibles in the parade. Miss. Sparta was Annabelle W. and the runner up was Gwendolyn L. Mr. Sparta was Aiden G. and runner up was Brian G. 

Friday, October 22nd was the big game and we were playing Hazleton Area. The student section was full of students wearing maroon and gold. The rest of the bleachers were also filled with alumni, parents, teachers, and supporters. It was a tough game and we did end up losing 55-19 but the boys still played a great game. 

Homecoming week is just such a great week to be in high school. There is so much to look forward to and everyone just has great spirit and energy all week.