COVID-19 vs The School System

Paige Suda, Staff Writer

When the original lock down occurred in 2020, schools, restaurants, and even stores were closed due to the sweep of COVID-19. Now, in 2022, the cases are still rising, and the strains are multiplying. 

Due to the uprising, schools must consider going virtual once again. “Yes, it is putting many people at risk for catching COVID. There are also so many people with immune issues and other problems that could be affected by COVID,” said junior Anjel Anderscavage of the High School about whether schools should go virtual. 

With schools going online, it comes with many pros and cons for students. “An upside is students will have all day to do their work,” said Anderscavage. 

Going online also comes with many disadvantages for students and teachers. “A downside is that everyone will start to get lazy and fail,” said junior Sebastian Stiles. 

Aside from older kids being interrupted with their schooling, the younger generation is having more roadblocks. Elementary students haven’t had the full experience yet of being in a classroom with friends and playing around without masks and having to social distance. 

“I think they should figure out a smarter way to do hybrid for the younger kids. They are going to grow and have social problems because they were deprived at a young age of being with people in a public setting,” said junior Leiah Canfield. The younger generation is being deprived of the experience that all previous generations had to be able to grow their social skills and learn proper behavior in their early years of schooling.

With COVID still being at large, schools have had to adapt and find ways to make the environment safer. “Some ways our school can help prevent the spread of COVID while remaining in school is having less kids in each classroom,” said junior Cristian Sanchez. 

Talk about whether or not the Pennsylvania mask mandate will be lifted has gained several students’ attention. “If the mandate is lifted, it will make it a lot easier for the virus to spread causing an increase of a possible shutdown,” said Anderscavage. 

The CDC made a rule stating that if 5% of students get COVID then the school has to go to virtual learning. In the high school, we have between 1,300 to 1,400 students, so if around 70 students get COVID, our school will have to go on a temporary shutdown. 

The goal is to stay safe and avoid going virtual if possible. “Be respectful and wear your mask. Don’t put others at risk,” said Anderscavage.