Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Orrson

Mel McGlynn

For this Teacher Spotlight, I decided to interview a 10th Grade Learning Support teacher, Mrs. Orrson. Mrs. Orrson is located in room 304 and also teaches Learning Support English.

The first question I asked was, “What inspired you to be a Learning Support teacher?”

“I always knew early on that there were only two career paths that interested me, teaching and law.  My decision to pursue teaching came from wanting to do something that would hopefully have a positive impact and make a difference just like the teachers I had as a Spartan. Special education was a good fit because it allows me to work with students who need extra help and support.  There is nothing better than when a student makes progress on their goals or has an “ah ha” moment after I have worked with them.”

Along with that, I asked “What is it like teaching students and helping them?”

“Each day for me is a little different than the day before but almost always busy.  A few of my responsibilities are providing help and support to the students on my caseload, teaching an English class, providing students with a quiet space to take tests, implementing interventions to help students in the areas they struggle and progress monitoring.  I really enjoy helping students and getting to know them throughout the school year.”

“Currently, the class of 2025 are 10th graders, how is it?”

“They are a big class, so my caseload is bigger than usual.  So far, so good. I am looking forward to having a great school year and helping them grow and be successful.”

Mr. Orrson, Mrs. Orrson’s husband, is a gym/health teacher here as well. Along with Madison, their daughter, who is a sophomore.

“I love having my family in the building, I really enjoy seeing them throughout the day.”

“Since you teach English, what is your favorite novel to cover?”

“I really enjoy the novel we cover during the 4th quarter, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  It is a book that warns of the danger of the media controlling the masses and the destruction of individual thought, censorship, by burning books.”

Outside of school, Mrs. Orrson enjoys traveling and spending time with family and friends. Also watching Madison play field hockey.

“Once a Spartan, always a Spartan.  This is something I like to say… It simply means that your time at WVW will always be a part of who you are in both big and small ways.”

-Mrs. Orrson 2022