Under Pressure

How is Parental Pressure Affecting Students?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Under Pressure

Archer Kerrick, Contributing Writer

Pressure can come in many different ways and forms. Pressure also affects everyone differently. Nothing compares though to the pressure students receive from their parents. “I receive a lot of pressure in academics and sports, they want straight A’s,” said sophomore Aubrey Boyd. “When it comes to sports they want me to do my best,” she said.

Sophomores Lucas Geiger and Kylee Laudenslager also experience the same kind of  pressure. “They check my grades everyday,” said Lucas.

Pressure also affects them all in different ways. “It makes me feel like I’m being watched all the time,” says Kylee while Aubrey states that it makes her push and work harder. “I don’t pay much attention to most of it,” said Lucas about dealing with it. “But overall I agree with their high expectations,” said Aubrey. “They’re only trying to help me succeed.”

School sports and academics are what parents tend to focus on when pressuring their children but social life has come into play more and more in recent years, with the limiting factor being how well the student does in school.

“Depending on who I hang out with my parents are strict, but otherwise not a lot,” said Kylee. Some may not have any parental pressure for grades, sports or outside of school. James Kobusky stated that he receives little to no pressure from his parents. “They trust me enough to make my own decisions and look out for myself,” said James.

Social lives are hard to have restrictions on but parents still manage to limit their children in some way. “My parents have a say in who I hang out with,” said Lucas, “they know who I hang out with are trustworthy, but they dislike a select few people, so I don’t hang out with them.”  

In the eyes of some, pressure from parents is overboard, too much to handle and annoying. “Any pressure my parents put on me can be irritating,” said James. But to some it helps them succeed a great deal and pushes them to work as hard as possible. “My parents only want what’s best for me and are only doing it to help me,” said Kylee, while speaking on the contrary. Overall it’s good, bad, annoying, helpful. But it’s only your parents trying to look out for you in the long run.